Thursday 13 October 2011

Last Week

Yesterday was the last official day of my group therapy. I’m sad I’m not going next week as I had really come to look forward to meeting up with everyone.

We’ve exchanged contact info though and are planning to meet up in three weeks time. One of group has dubbed us Mad Club which I just love! I want a badge that says that now! Possibly tee-shirts as well, yeah definitely need tee-shirts.

This last meeting was mostly about avoiding a relapse and giving us lots of advice for how to avoid it but also new ways of thinking about if we do have a relapse. I gave a fairly impassioned speech about how I think I can make a difference to my life now because I have accepted that this is a life long struggle.

I can stay on top of it most of the time (hopefully) now with these tools but it’s going to have to be constant vigilance, and similarly I may never be able to come off my medication as that might be an essential part of my ongoing treatment.

We gave lots of suggestions for how to notice early warning signs and how to battle them. One of the most brilliant suggested by one of the other members is to get a small notebook and fill it with things like “Go make a cup of tea”, “Go for a walk” “Take a bath” and that is your emergency help book.

Something I think is a really really brilliant idea.

Next week I have an appointment about therapy at the CFS clinic for my fibromyalgia which is good because I am really struggling with my pain at the moment and my pain and depression go very hand and hand for me.

That’s part of why winter is so hard for me, the cold makes my pain a lot lot worse and my mood drops as I struggle in pain. I’m glad I have the appointment next week.

At the moment I have a sense of humour about it all and I really want to keep that.

No comments:

Post a Comment