Monday 15 August 2011

Words are Power

What I’m finding is the power of words. I find myself feeling sad or angry, and starting to think “I am a failure. Everyone is unhappy because I suck. I should be better” and instead of just getting more and more wrapped in self hatred and depression I can stop.

Look at my thoughts, and name them.

“I am a failure”- Emotional Reasoning, I’m tired and in pain and therefore looking for reasons why I feel low.

“Everyone is unhappy because I suck.”- Personalising, everything bad in the universe is my fault because, you know, I control everything. It’s ridiculous and silly to take on the faults of the world.

“I should be better.” Living By Fixed Rules, should, must, ought….words that mean I am not good enough. It also means I’m making rules no one else is holding me to.

By naming them I can see what I’m doing and they lose power. I go from 90% sadness to 15 or 20% simply by naming and taking the power away from the thought processes.

Names are power.

No comments:

Post a Comment